Why Do You Cry
"Lovely vocals and piano duo (with Liam Noble) on a repertoire of sentient standards in which Wardell provides a model of the jazz singer's art. There's no urgent huffing and puffing at the melody, no finger snapping or mad-cap-scatting, just crystal clear diction, sensitive readings of the text, and an acute ear for the meaning of the lyrics."
Phil Johnson, The Guardian.
Read more here.
- I've Never Been in Love Before (Frank Loesser)
- September in the Rain (H Warren/A Dubin)
- Why Do You Cry (Anita Wardell)
- Twisted (Wardell Gray/Annie Ross)
- In Love in Vain (Jerome Kern/Leo Robin)
- Do You Know What it Means? (to Miss New Orleans) (Eddie De Lange/Louis Alter)
- Bye Bye Blackbird (Henderson)
- Oh! What a Beautiful Morning (Oscar Hammerstein/Richard Rogers)
- Duke Ellington's Sound of Love (Charles Mingus)
- Deep Purple (Peter DeRose)